Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Day Thirty-three - A Mix of Everything

Cass was up all night long chatting online with her friends. She hit the sack about the same time I was getting up to get ready to go to the lake ... 6PM. So I did the right thing. On the way out the door, I woke her up and asked her a bunch of senseless question. After all, what are parents for but to torment their children?

I had the lake all to myself for the first few minutes. It was overcast and the clouds reflected sharply in the still water. It was like wading into the sky and then diving into the clouds.

A few minutes later, Elizabeth Malcolm waded into the water. Elizabeth is an elderly woman who swims for hours at a time a Killarney Lake just as soon as the ice melts and she swims right up till the lake freezes over in early winter. A couple of years ago, a friend of hers swam with her until she ended up in the hospital with hypothermia. For some reason, Elizabeth seems to be immune to the condition.

After the swim (2K), I downed my first gel pack, the chocolate one. It was like chocolate pudding. I waited a moment to see what effect it might have and, after not puking or gagging or dying on the spot, I biked 10K in a very fine misty drizzle that was refreshing.

Then I ran around the lake three times (5K). There were two other runners. One just ignored me when we met - going in opposite directions - even though I waved and said hi. He was almost sprinting. The bearded one was more friendly.

By now, there were other swimmers in the lake. I expect the activities will increase right up till July 10, and then everybody will spend the rest of the summer in outdoor patios drinking cold frothy beers - the way summer should be spent.

After work, Cass and I went out to the lake for some air mattresess floating. Small mouth bass were jumping all around us. Dragon flies landed on us and mated, ignoring our advice to get a room. The biggest horsefly in the world landed on my arm, but Cass swatched the bugger before he could bite my arm off. We floated sideways on the mattresses for a while and let some kind of non-catfish fish with moustaches nibble at our feet and legs for a while. Another perfect evening at Killarney Lake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home