Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Days Twenty-four and Twenty-five - First Day of Summer!

Went for a 10 K bike ride yesterday and then for a 64 lap swim in the evening. The bike ride was windy, but it was hot so the wind was welcome for a change.

Today was the first day of summer! And it was hot and sunny and there were virtually no clouds in the sky. I started the day off with 104 laps at the early bird swim.

I got off work early and took my daughter to the lake. It was great! We floated around on air mattresses for an hour and then I went for a fast swim for the width of the lake and then just floated in the water for about five minutes staring into the deep blue sky.

There was a guy swimming around the lake in a wet suit, stopping every few minutes to look at this watch. He seemed to be swimming first this way, and then that way, and he didn't stay in the water long. I saw a woman a couple of weeks ago in a wet suit doing the same thing. I have a feeling that both are getting ready for the triathon, but I don't have a clue what the particular methodology was. Personally, I just get in the water and swim like hell non-stop for an hour.

After the lake, we got Hostage and watched it while we ate supper. And then I went for a quick 10 K bike ride. I cut another minute off my time. Again, the wind was a welcome friend, just enough of it to keep me cool but not make going downhill a struggle.

I noticed that my stretching is getting deeper. Starting to loosen up. Each day that passes now, I become increasingly convinced that I'm going to live through this.

And bonus...the chapter in my novel featuring the virtual triathlon is almost writing itself as I train. I take along a small digital recorder and make notes as I train (with the exception of swimming). I have a feeling the triathlon chapter in the sequel to The War Bug is going to be one of the best things I've ever written.

And I think this is one chapter I'm earning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO Biff GO !!

Biffy Biffy,
He's our man,
if he can't do it,
no one can!

Ra Ra Ra

and other assorted cheers...
beth :)

10:37 a.m.  
Blogger Biff said...

Thanks, Beth, I appreciate the encouragement. I will finish this race for you.

Biffy

9:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home