Sunday, July 15, 2007

Take Me, I'm Yours

My good friend lori p morse, one of the most gifted photographers I know (in addition to being a beautiful and vivacious warm-hearted human being), did something really cool this weekend. She opened an exhibition of her art at the Green Turtle Clothing store on King Street and I can't think of a more perfect setting for this particular exhibit. You'll have to drop by the store to see what I mean (it's right behind Robert Simmons).

In the artist's own words ...

"Take me, I'm yours" is a body of work from a group exhibition at the UNB Art Centre called Bearing Witness, 2006. Each artist was to examine something closely in their lives and then express their response visually.

I focused on how much space I was taking up in the world. So, I collected my garbage for a year - nothing gross...just items that helped me evaluate my lifestyle habbits: ie: gum wrappers, coffee cups, styrofoam doggie bags, packaging from gifts...Doing this really changed my life. One idea/thought led to another and then I found myself looking at all the items I had collected over the years and was not using. So, I asked people to take those items from me, but only if they would find the item useful, or if they absolutely loved it. I still have items from this project that I would like for people to take from me and will bring them with me to the opening on July 14th...All I ask is that you leave your name and what you take with you when you leave...other than that - the items are FREE!!

This photography project has led me to a new project on collections that I am working on right now and will be exhibiting in Fredericton next year.

If you are a collector, and live in New Brunswick, (traditional or unconventional) and are interested in the potential of being part of my project, let me know!! (loripmorse at hotmail.com)

The show is up until August 11.

This is lori just before people started to arrive ...

And when they did ... they did ...

Veronica Pencil even brought flowers for lori ... something we might all keep in mind the next time we go to a place to stare in wonderment at art ... we should remember the artist needs flowers.

Some guy tried to be taller than lori ...

A very scary guy tried to figure out her secret for preparing finger food art ...

An even scarier guy tried to bite her neck, claiming to be a retired vampire who was down a quart or two. He was quite surprised when lori cut his legs off with her hidden katana and said, "No, you katana bite my neck, you silly beast."

Whitefeather said, "That was cool, lori. I think Chris may be a vampire too. Let's see if he turns to smoke while I strangle him eating this delicious strawberry."

After the vampires were vanquished, everybody watched art ...

Some of it was plugged in ...

And then people took art ...

This was one of the coolest things I've seen in a gallery. By selecting a piece from the table and signing for it ... and then taking it home free (no salesman will call, offer restricted to non-vampires and sentient life forms) ... the audience becomes part of the work itself.

You have till August 11 to get your ass into Green Turtle Clothing and become art.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home