Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Worst Drivers In The World - Fredericton

I live in a small city called Fredericton. It’s north of Maui. Unlike Maui, the weather sucks. So do the drivers. In fact, Fredericton’s main boast to fame is the sad truth that it has the most inconsiderate, ignorant, dumbass, stupid, hollow-headed, vindictive, brain dead, petty, mean little asshole drivers of any municipality on the planet.

Last summer, I was driving in Toronto. One of the things that amazed me was seeing cars slowing down to allow cars to get in front of them to change lanes. If a Fredericton driver sees your turning signal begin to flash before you change lanes, that driver will speed up and close the space between his or her car and the car in front so that you can’t change lanes. I’m not joking. I see this almost every day.

A couple of months ago, I was in Chicago en route to a meeting with a client. The client was in Lisle, so it was a long drive. The driver had to change lanes (yes, I counted the number of times) 47 times there and back. Not once did the drivers in the other lanes try to stop him.

The three-way stop at the Regent Mall is the Fredericton driver’s wish-come-true. “I wish to be an especially mean little asshole today.” And so is. One car from lane one pulls out, followed by one car from lane two, followed by one car from lane three, and … oh uh … mean little asshole just got his wish as he pulled out right behind the car from lane three, upsetting the equilibrium of fairness and almost crashing into the second car from lane one, whose turn it is to pull out.

Putting a traffic rotary in Fredericton would result in one of the greatest motor vehicle disasters in history. Thousands would die. In minutes.

At the University of New Brunswick, three roads feed into one short lane that leads out the front gate of the campus. Traffic usually backs up ten or fifteen vehicles deep on two of the roads because the gate leads smack into a busy intersection with traffic lights. The third road leads into a gym parking lot and cuts through one of the other two lanes. Last week, traffic was backed up waiting for the intersection lights to change and I stopped my car just before the road to the gym, leaving enough space for cars coming up the hill to turn onto the gym road. I could have pulled ahead and blocked access to the gym road but I wouldn’t have been going anywhere because the traffic was still backed up. I would have gained a staggering two car lengths. So why not let cars turning onto the gym road through? The ignorant dickhead in the car behind me had other thoughts. He honked his horn continuously and shook his fist at me. The whole time I was stopped.

If I hadn’t been in a hurry, I would have sat through a couple more lights in the hopes that he would get out of his car so that I could clobber his mean little ass. The unfortunate part is that this has happened to me before in Fredericton. Others are angered by attempts to be a considerate driver.

Forget about trying to pull out in busy traffic in Fredericton. Nobody’s going to stop for you. If you’re a pedestrian, don’t step out into a crosswalk until the traffic has stopped completely. Law or not, most drivers are just going to ignore you. At intersections with double lanes, watch out for drivers cutting into the right lane instead of the left like it says to do in the driver’s manual. In Fredericton, traffic laws are made on the fly and assholes reign on the roads.

Here’s how bad it is, I was stopped in a busy lane waiting for a break in the oncoming traffic so that I could make a left turn. The traffic in that lane stretched as far as I could see. I hunkered in for a long wait when suddenly, a car in the oncoming traffic stopped. I didn’t do anything. I just sat there. The other driver honked her horn and smiled. And then it occurred to me: she’s giving me a break. I almost burned rubber making my turn, smiling, waving, and thinking: “Is there hope for the drivers of Fredericton?”

BTW, if you think the city you live in has worse drivers than Fredericton, make a comment below.

4 Comments:

Blogger HannesB said...

Having lived in Fredricton for four years, and now in Halifax, I have to say that you're probably right about Fredericton drivers. Althouh Halifax drivers seem to be more in a hurry, always going much faster than the posted speed limit. The bad thing about Halifax is its poorly designed intersections - in many places, five roads converge, with one famous place where there is actually a single traffic light smack in the middle of the intersection. I kid you not. And then there is the infamous armdale rotary, where drivers are expected to ignore the wordwide principles of traffic circles, and follow the unique printed directions posted on the traffic lights around the circle. It basically works like a 5-way stop, completely halting any semblance of smoothly flowing traffic.

Hannes

11:12 a.m.  
Blogger Biff said...

Yeah ... there's not a lot of common sense used by the city of Halifax to ensure a smooth - and sane - flow of traffic. Can you imagine if those intersections existed in Fredericton?

I think the worst intersection, though not the most confusing, is at the corner of King and Regent, right by the Tim Horton's. Coming from the South and making a left turn is always a matter of praying that nothing is coming toward your at a fast speed ih the right oncoming lane, especially if there's a truck or bus stopped in the oncoming left lane, obscuring anything that might smash into you.

I think it's some kind of miracle that nobody's been killed there yet.

10:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay

I have been here for 3 months from St. John's Newfoundland... and I have never wanted to smack so many car drivers in my life.
Rude is the main aspect of there driving, and screeching tires is the 2nd. (Regardless if they are driving a 4 cyc neon)
I rather stay home or walk somewhere then drive, they have the worst I have ever seen, and I have been in Montreal, Texas, T.O, and England.
Perhaps it is the lackluster police force that seems not to inforce the rules.

As for the driver that let you pass thru the lights.. you might of checked the plate. The odds are they were not even from NB, maybe from another Province and haven't became bitter yet from the stress of driving the streets

Jason LaCour

12:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"lackluster police" You nailed it on the head. I have even called the police to complain about the lack of control at the regent/prospect intersection. and was told "it is a very busy area and hard to patrol...." so I guess they just do not try. drive down prospect St some day past smith st. and notice the average speed of 70-80kmh in the 50 zone...with my job i am on the road all day in the Fredericton area..I cant remember the last time I saw a police patrol.

2:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home