Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Two Sides of Fredericton Drivers

So, right after I blog about the lousy drivers in Fredericton, I'm driving along Sunset Drive and I have to make a left turn. I flick the stick to flash my turning signals, look at the long line of cars in the oncoming lane and think, "Shit."

But then, a miracle.

A white van stops just before the road onto which I want to turn and the driver signals for me to go ahead. Thunderstruck, I wave to him and turn, looking all around for signs that the sky falling or raining frogs.

After dropping a movie off at Blockbuster, I got about a quarter mile down the road before a white-haired man in an SUV cut out in front of me, nearly driving me into oncoming traffic.

Ten minutes ago, I stopped for a man crossing the street in front of the Chalmers Hospital. An SUV behind me veered to the left as though the driver was going to pass me but came to a screeching halt at an angle less than a foot away from my rear bumper. I could see the woman behind the wheel scowling at me, angry that I interrupted her flow of traffic.

Screw her. Screw the white-haired man. Screw about 90% of the drivers in this town. Bless the man in the van who let me make my left turn.

BTW, the picture shows Fredericton at it's best ... without the drivers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Oh, my, I feel your pain. Fredericton drivers are the worst. My hubby parked at Staples yesterday and the lady behind him proceeded to run into the back out his PARKED car. No damage, but OH MY GOD, what was she thinking...oh,yeah, there was no thinking involved. Best of luck as the winter progresses
Bridget46

11:47 a.m.  
Blogger Biff said...

And I feel your pain. I was driving at the front of the Brookside Mall one morning when a car approached me from the opposite direction ... in *my* lane.

I honked my horn. Repeatedly. The driver ignored me and kept driving straight for me. He was just a few feet from kissing my front bumper when I swung my car to the left, praying that nobody was heading my way in that lane, and avoided a head-on by inches.

Just before I swerved, I saw the driver of the other car. He was talking on a cell phone.

I was already late for work or I would have followed him till he stopped and shoved his cell phone up his nose.

11:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home