Monday, May 21, 2007

The Preemption of Surge: Act III (Life in the Strange Lane: A Camera Goes Bad) by the NO LIMITS 12 Hour Read-A-Thon, Part 4 (Art+Concepts)

So, Ingrid Mueller, Princess of Art, Driving Force for Cultural Enlightenment in the Spiritual Greening of Fredericton, let us take refuge from the rain in Art+Concepts, a gallery too well hidden on York Street across from King’s Place. I’ll be interviewing Ingrid after I’ve found a place to live (I have a whole 11 days now) and get settled into my new digs (probably my car).

This is Ingrid …

You’ll be hearing a lot about this woman in the future.

Now, a lot happened at the Gallery. The WolfTree Writers were there with some powerful poetry. They brought student writers, who gave us a glimpse into the next generation of writing talent in this town. Surprisingly, none of them predicted the end of the world. I found this interesting, being a DoomSayer and all. They joined in with Broken Joe to read a chapter from Body Traffic, a novel by Rita Toews and her husband Alex. Rita is the founder of Read an eBook Week and one of Canada’s pioneers in electronic publishing. Greg was there with his girlfriend. They were still looking for a new title for his story.

Amazingly, all these people read at the same time. It created an interesting effect that I was somehow able to capture with my camera … hear’s what it sounded like …

Pretty cool, eh? When they finished reading, the walls absorbed them and now they're art.

Vanessa and Carson finished up the first segment of the readings with a mind-blowing literary duo blast. Carson read letters from the 60s written by Vanessa’s late father. Vanessa read poetry she’d written in the last few years. She read in English. He read in German. Their readings crossed paths frequently and the simultaneous bilingual sound created a haunting effect of time converging. Here’s what it sounded like …

The second segment of readings was the Adults Only segment. I was the only reader. I read Ladies of the Fountain for 45 minutes and then died. In the picture below, I’m just about to grab my chest around the heart area before slumping into the floor and becoming art.

Next: Reads at Read’s

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home