Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Day Six - My Body Is Rejecting Me

Six days into the training and I'm still alive! Sort of. There seems to be some kind of mind/body disfunction growing around me, like, my mind says, "Time to train for the nice little triathlon so that we don't fall on our collective mind/body/spirit face in front of a zillion spectators and make little asses of our collective selves."

And my body says, "Biff, think about it. Cold beer and a movie. A big cold bottle of Picaroons Irish Red and the zillionth viewing of Fight Club or The Breakfast Club or Blade Runner or Apocalypse Now or Clueless. Our collective selves could just veg and sip and view."

But I went out anyway. Twenty kilometers of biking and a little over 5 kilometers of running. And the whole time my mind was saying, "We coulda been drinking beer. We coulda been ..."

"No, you frickin' freak," yelled my mind. "Just one more..."

And so it went. The bike ride sucked. Too much traffic on all three roads. I felt like I was gulping carbon monoxide. But the run around the lake was great. I was sunny and warm and the light was early evening magic on the still surface of the lake water.

I finished my run and started to do some stretching in the grass above the beach but the bugs found me within seconds. Big bugs. Black flies so big you could put saddles on them and buzz down Main Street yahooing and spitting on everything that burns diesel fuel.

That big.

So I cut out early, drove directly to the beer store for a cold bottle of Picaroons (on the advisement of my spirit, of course...the old peacemaker between mind and body), and then drove home to watch a movie.

But which one? Time for decisions...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home