Saturday, May 28, 2005

Day Two of Triathlon Training

Day two is day-of-rest-and-hope-that-the-pain-in-my-legs-will-go-away-some-day day. Slept in till 11 AM. Got up. Did some Qi Gong and a Karate kata. And went for an intense mall crawl leg work out. Went to Cleves and bought a new pair of running shoes. The old pair are two years old. They'll harder than the pavement. The new ones felt like a second skin. They better. They were the most I've ever paid for a pair of shoes, and they were on sale. This was a great financial commitment to the health and spiritual well-being of my feet.

And I will never let them forget it.

Something I forgot to mention about my bike and run yesterday: when I got off my bike and locked it to my car, I started to run. I immediately fell down. My legs ... in fact, my entire lower body ... felt like a large bowl of jelly. There was some kind of discontinuity between my legs and my brain. I was thining: Go forward. My legs were thinking: Go down.

I think this is what they call a "transition" effect, when you go from one physical activity to another. Something like ... my brain was saying, "I am no longer bicycling. I am running." And my legs were saying: "Speak for yourself, mutha, we be needing some serious running foreplay here. We was just getting into the bicycling thing and now you want us to run. There's like serious support issues here, fool. Your ass ain't holding up your upper body anymore. We are. And it's a whole new motion. And whaddaya got against grass. It's nice down here. Just smell that grass."

But I got up and did the old baby step thing for a couple hundred feet and then I slowly moved into a nice-paced run. So, I guess I gotta work on the transitions."

Did a half workout on my Gym 1000 and then stretched for a while. Tonight's my last night for alcoholic beverages until after the triathlon. I think that part will be harder to survive the training.

Oh well, this year I won't dip into the dandelion wine too soon.

I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home